Kingsport Fire Departments Offers Heating Equipment Safety Tips
As the temperatures drop into the low 20s and high teens Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, the Kingsport Fire Department has steps to use heating equipment appropriately.
According to Public Information Officer Barry Brickey, heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths, and tips to prevent such tragedies include the following:
Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater. Older electric coil wall heaters may not be “off” when the switch is turned down.
Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters. Never use your oven to heat your home.
Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
When using any type of fuel burning heaters, make sure you have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector.
Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
Plan and practice a home escape plan. –nfpa.org
Courtesy of Image: Kingsport Fire Department